Like vitamins, minerals also play an important role in promoting oral health. Teeth utilizes minerals in order to maintain its hardness and rigidity. See that your diet contains adequate amount of minerals that are required for healthy mouth which is a window to your overall health.
Minerals that are needed for maintaining oral health
Following are some minerals which you should include in your daily diet in order to ensure healthy teeth and gums:
- Calcium: Calcium is important for maintaining healthy teeth. Inadequacy of calcium in your diet can cause gum disease, which can further lead to advanced stage of gum disease called as periodontitis. Calcium is very essential in keeping your teeth strong. Calcium is mainly found in diary products like milk, cheese, curd, butter etc.
- Phosphorous: Not only calcium, but phosphorous also plays an important role in formation of teeth properly. Moreover, it is required for metabolic process of all cells.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a very important mineral that help in keeping calcium in the teeth enamel. Deficiency of magnesium can cause gum disease that can lead to loosening of teeth. Nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds etc are rich in magnesium.
- Zinc: Zinc helps in controlling the bacterial growth and plaque buildup on teeth and gums. Deficiency of zinc can make you more prone to infections. Moreover, zinc is necessary for proper function of your immunity. So, in your daily diet include food rich in zinc. It is mainly found in whole grains.
- Iron: Iron helps in supporting supply of red blood cells also prevent from tongue inflammation. Deficiency of this mineral can easily cause tongue inflammation and sores in your mouth. Food rich in Iron are liver and red meat. Iron can also be found in cereals, spices and nuts.
- Iodine: Iodine helps in effective functioning of salivary glands. If there is enough production of saliva, you don’t have risk of developing cavities as saliva can act as a protection against cavities. Iodine is mainly found in sea food, boiled eggs, etc.
- Potassium: This mineral is required proper functioning of nerves and muscle contractions. Food that is rich in potassium are vegetables, fruits, meats, etc.
Not only vitamins, but also minerals play important role in maintaining oral health. Take a diet that has sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals that are essential for maintaining oral health.