Conducting drug testing at workplaces is very much necessary to ensure safety and discipline. Many employees these days are habituated to consume various illegal drugs like marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, barbiturates and so on. All of these drugs cause serious health effects among the employees. This has an effect on the performance of the employee and also on the productivity and profitability of the organization in turn. It has therefore become mandatory for the employers to conduct drug tests at workplaces. Are you planning to start a drug testing program at your workplace? Then remember that you should consider certain issues before implementing the program.
- Design and develop a well-written policy for eradicating drug abuse at the organization. Ensure that the policies are clear and informed to all the employees in the company. It is also necessary to make the new employees know about the terms and conditions of drug abuse and drug testing at the workplace.
- There are many methods of conducting drug tests. They include urine, saliva, and hair drug tests. Select the right type of test that is best affordable and suitable to be conducted at your organization.
- Know that multi-panel drug test kits are economical for drug testing at workplaces. Consider the advantages.
- It should be made sure that the managers and heads of the company support the program. They should treat all the employees equally.
- Educate and train the employees about the dangerous side effects of illegal drugs. Place notices and placards of drug-related news in bulletin boards or company newsletters.
- The employees should be informed about the disciplinary actions to be taken if they are tested positive in the testing program.
- Make sure that proper rehabilitation and medication programs are arranged for drug abused employees.
- Also consider the privacy issues related to drug testing program.
These things have to be thought properly to make the drug testing program successful at your workplace.