Online shopping is the process of buying products or services by the customers directly from the sellers without any intermediary by the internet. The online shopping is developed in the mid 1990’s.
- The history of the online shopping started in 1990 when Tim Berners Lee developed first World Wide Web server and browser.
- In 1994 Netscape released Navigator Browser and the same company later introduced encryption for secure transaction. During the same year Pizza Hut started online ordering on their webpage. The German company Intershop was the first company to introduce first online shopping system in 1994.
- From the year 1995 Amazon.com started online shopping and many other companies like Dell and Cisco started using internet in all their transactions. Online auction was started by eBay.
- In the year 1998 United States started selling postal stamps online with which the users can purchase these postal stamps online and take the print out.
- Finally in the year 2000, the Bubble (The Dot Com bubble) burst resulted in a number of online retailers going bankrupt.
- In the twenty first century lot of advances occurred in the online shopping and some of the major changes are:
The increase in the number of online stores is large and this includes brick and mortar stores and web only stores. The other advances are the mobile shopping technology in which the customers can buy and make transactions through mobile phones. Lot of online retailers are offering a deal of the day to encourage customers to do more online shopping.